On September 15, 2020, the A. J. Long Mill was officially listed in the National Register of Historic Places. The property was also listed in the Virginia Landmarks Register by the Virginia Board of Historic Resources on June 18, 2020. For additional information, visit the Virginia Department of Historic Resources.
The A.J. Long Mill (now known as Sullivan’s Mill) and associated resources are located on a wooded, 3.13-acre site in southwestern Greene County, Virginia. The Mill is in a small community known as Shifflett Hollow and within the view shed of Shenandoah National Park. Simmons Gap Road, a narrow unpaved road which runs across the Shenandoah and on into Rockingham County, forms the northwestern boundary of the mill property and served as a crossing road over the Blue Ridge until it closed after the creation of the Shenandoah National Park. Although the exact date of construction of the first mill is uncertain, the earliest known sale of a mill on the site occurred in 1835. The current mill building is a rectangular, two-story, frame building , sheathed with lapped, rough sawn pine and poplar siding nailed to rough, trimmed and notched pine posts. A one-story shed roofed addition was added off the east elevation ca. 1896. A.J. Long Mill contains an overshot mill wheel that sits along the west elevation. The long, ~quarter-mile headrace (contributing structure), which is overgrown and in poor condition, runs northwesterly along its Simmons Gap Road boundary within the wooded parcel before turning to run along its northern boundary to intersect with the Lynch River. Water, from a dam impoundment where the headrace met the river, provided power for the mill via gravity flow along the headrace to the stone platform (contributing structure) serving the overshot waterwheel. The structure rests on a dry-stacked stone foundation which contains a small basement carve-out housing the gearing and belt drive components which are still in position.